Welcome once again to the Frisky Power Rankings, where I rank women’s flat track roller derby according to my whims/in-depth knowledge.
This month, we’re looking forward to Playoffs, and teams have played their last sanctioned tuneup games. This year, they have to take those games seriously, knowing that they’ll count toward next year’s playoff rankings.
This is the only human power ranking left* now that DNN discontinued theirs, so drink it in!
- Gotham. You know you’re good when the internet gets excited that you beat a team by *only* 134 points. Is Gotham beatable? Yeah, but I wouldn’t bet money on it this year. Looking forward to a possible match-up with Windy at Playoffs.
- Windy City. Damn girls! A big win over Minnesota keeps them near the top of the pack.
- Denver. Moving up on that “mere’ 134-point loss to Gotham. Looking to be rounding into form at the right time of year,
- Texas. They always round into form at the right time of year, don’t they?
- Star passes. Panties** are flying left and right lately, and I have to say I like it.
- Bay Area Derby. Didn’t play this month, so they drop a bit because I’m 1) lazy and 2) like roller derby games.
- Rose City. 74% lead jammer calls in the second half over Rat City, for a win of over 100 points. Same number of jammer penalties. No one with more than three penalty minutes. This is a good sign.
- Rocky Mountain. So close to Denver, but so are the 4-7 teams.
- Division II playoffs. That was kinda fun, huh?
- London. No information since last month. They are keeping busy, though, making videos.
- Philly. No new news either, and they haven’t made a video in a WHILE.
- Angel City. They are much, much better at flat track derby than the LA Derby Dolls, and are very good at scoring points. This much we know. Haven’t played a Division I WFTDA team since May. So, there’s a lot we don”t know.
- Minnesota. They jump up after adding Slamba Phage. Their jammer rotation needed a little boost. Now, when they block Jukeboxx I won’t clutch my head and moan, “whyyyyyy?”
- Rat City. With Kamikaze Kim gone and Carmen Getsome injured, they’ve got jammer problems. When I turned on the boutcast of the Rat/Rose game during intros, I thought for a short time that I had the wrong night and that they were intro-ing the B-team. Eeep.
- Watching a ton of archived games online while feeding your new baby because you don’t have any hands free, so what else are you gonna do?
- Montreal. I think their WFTDA rank (#8) is too high, but they have more high-level (Division I and top-ten) experience than your Arch Rivals and your Atlantas.
- Arch Rival. Okay, I just said they don’t have as much high-level experience, but they’ve worked hard on remedying that this year, including a recent win over Minny (and big losses to Denver and Rocky Mountain).
- Atlanta. No games in August. Still a bit of a mystery to old Frisky here.
- Boston. Riding a decent winning streak into playoffs.
- Ohio. In May, they beat Steel by 84. In August, by 5. What’s up with that? No, really, I sincerely want to know.
What do you think?
*That I’m aware of. Don’t make me do, like, an internet search or whatever to confirm.
**Helmet panties. I hope that joke is worth the web search traffic that might result.