Welcome once again to the Frisky Power Rankings, where I rank women’s flat track roller derby according to my whims/in-depth knowledge.
Sorry sorry sorry, these are totally late this month. We bought a house and moved last week, so all my actual paid work was getting done at 11pm instead of power rankings. My comeuppance is that I have to take the Midwest Brewhaha results into consideration now, too. My poor aching brain.
- Victoria. I wouldn’t bet on them against say, Gotham, but they sure have the momentum right now. POWER.
- Gotham. Finally, they played a few games. And they beat Denver by more points than the last time they met in the fall, so we’ll say they’re probably still preeeetty good, despite big personnel changes.
- Rose City Rollers. Lookin’ good, lookin’ good. You’re still number one in the power rankings of my heart, but other teams are rolling in power this month like whoa.
- Ice cream. In a waffle coooooooone.
- Denver. Strong and shiny. Denver vs. BAD is coming up in Portland. That would be a fun game to attend in person. It really would.*
- Bay Area Derby. Very good at The Big O, but maybe not as dominant as one might have suspected.
- Texas. Stumbled a bit at The Big O, but I trust that they’ll find their way.
- Philly. Oh snap, they’re looking good this year with a big win over Minnesota in May.
- Angel City. “What’s up, Angel City?” “Oh, you know, beating Atlanta, Jacksonville, and Tampa.” “Pretty chill, pretty chill.” I do not know what people actually talk like in LA.
- Arch Rival. Zipping up the rankings, making waves, gettin’ paid*. (*Probably not getting paid much, if anything.)
- London. I KNOW. This seems low. It’s just that everyone else is so good. This happens every month to some awesome team. It hurts me as much as it hurts you. Unless you’re really sensitive.
- Sun State. Holding pretty steady due to a win over Paradise City. Apparently that team is pretty good, too.
- Jacksonville. FTS has them at number 7, people. I put less stock in blowouts, but we’ll just see. Math is sometimes smarter than me.
- Minnesota. Performed maybe a smidge below expectations lately, but we’re keeping a watchful eye on the aqua and army.
- Relaxing near bodies of water. Chips and beer encouraged, but not required.
- Windy City. Still hangin’ in there with a bit of power, despite a rough start to the year.
- Rocky Mountain. Some decent wins and respectable losses in May.
- Team United. Last thing they did was have a fairly close loss against Arch Rival, a team that’s since gone on a bit of a tear.
- Tampa. Beat Atlanta!
- Atlanta. You heard me!
- Rat. Oh, hi, Rat. Nice to see you back here and playing games and stuff.
- Santa Cruz. Putting together a string of respectable victories…
*Realizing that you can’t go to any games at Hometown Throwdown because your husband is working again, Damn you, successful in-demand husband! I love you! Wait, are we mad? Why do I feel like smooching now?
What do you think? Who has power? What did I miss in my new homeowner haze? Let us know in the comments. Please feel free to dish freely, or send me anonymous tips at @littleanecdote so I feel cool.