Welcome once again to the Frisky Power Rankings, where I rank women’s flat track roller derby according to my whims/in-depth knowledge.
Oh hey, did something happen this month?
Yeah, maybe a couple of roller derby games?
Something about Scald Eagle and a Coke?
I have so much to say about this, so much to unpack, that I haven’t been able to write much about it at all. But the Rose City Rollers won champs, people.
- Rose City Rollers. They did iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!
- Gotham. There’s been a chink in the robot armor, to mix metaphors, and Rose City was able to pry it open just enough. With….2-2 formations? Offense? They rolled back the year in a surprising and interesting way, and I’m into it. OBVIOUSLY.
- Victoria. Now who’re the robots? Will people figure out the Victoria defense over the next year, and will Victoria be able to adjust? Do they really practice EVERY DAY? Is that healthy? I worry about you, ladies! But nice freaking work!
- London. Should be super proud of a #4 finish in this field. Could’ve been a different story, with a 12-point game against Rose in semis.
- Angel City. The top four is a separate field right now, but Angel City is knocking at the door. Not knocking at heaven’s door. That would be a bad joke.
- Texas. Where were you when you realized that Victoria was running away with that game? What does that say about where Texas is right now?
- Bay Area Derby. How long can they play 2012 derby? Well, it worked to a point!
- Jacksonville. Bad luck meeting Gotham in the second round, but… you’ve got to meet someone.
- Minnesota. Who knows what could’ve been with a couple of different decisions down the stretch? We know this: They put a scare into Texas in the first round.
- Denver. You always expect Denver to have a few cards to pull out at Champs, so it was a bit surprising to see that first game slip away halfway through the second.
- Rat City. Just not able to put many points on the board against Angel: 101 in one and only game at Champs.
- Arch Rival. Represented themselves well at their first champs appearance. We’re watching you now!
What do you think? Who has power? Let us know in the comments. Dish freely, or send me anonymous tips at @littleanecdote so I feel cool. (It doesn’t hurt to ask.)