Welcome once again to the Frisky Power Rankings, where I rank women’s flat track roller derby according to my whims/in-depth knowledge.
Once again, we’re just doing top 12, as there haven’t been many (if any) (should I look) (nah, too lazy) sanctioned games.
(Okay, I felt bad and looked it up. There was the European Tournament but not any top-tier action that we’d be concerned about here on the FPR.)
NEWS FLASH. There’s a new team on top of the Frisky Power Rankings, for the first time ever since the inaugural list in March 2013. If you want mathematical rankings based on who’s beaten whom recently, the internet has you covered. My list is based largely on feelings of who has momentum at any given point.
I couldn’t be more pleased to know that they belong there.
- Rose City Rollers. Who’s first in the hearts and minds of WFTDA fans right now, despite getting silver medals?
- Gotham. Still pretty good, but beatable. Definitely beatable. In theory.
- Bay Area Derby. The one loss to Rose Champs is their first loss since…Gotham in 2013 Champs.
- London. Played up to their number one seed
- Denver. A narrow loss to BAD is still a pretty good showing.
- Texas. Mathematically, they did better than expected at Champs, but we all knew that would happen, right?
- Victoria. Excellent first showing at the big show! Sorry about the travel bill!
- Philly. Gave Denver a good game there.
- Windy City. Met an unmovable force in a determined Rose City team.
- Angel City. First-round loss to Texas? It’s happened to worse teams, ladies.
- Minnesota. The Southern Hemisphere beat out The North this time.
- Rocky Mountain. Someone has to go out in the first round, but Rocky didn’t go down easily.
- Taylor Swift dressed as a pegacorn
- PIE with ICE CREAM
- Loren Mutch, because are you kidding me right now
So you didn’t win the Hydra, WOJ. Shake it off.